Omnia's balanced profile of business delivers
- Published: Friday, 23 June 2006 08:00
Omnia, the diversified, specialist chemical services company providing customised solutions in the chemicals, mining and agriculture markets, today announced results for the year ended 31 March 2006.
• Benefit of a balanced profile of business interests shielded the Group from full impact of low fertilizer sales and reduced polymer margins
• Increased contribution made to operating profit by the Chemicals and Mining divisions, which collectively increased to 84% (2005: 62%).
• Revenue up 1% to R 4.3 billion
• Net Profit down 29% to R 154 million
• Earnings per share down 30% to 353.2 cents per share
• Final dividend of 85 cents per share declared bringing the total for year to 145 cents
Commenting on the results, Omnia MD, Rod Humphris said:
“The strength of our diversified business model continued. A strong performance from our mining business and sound results from our chemicals business successfully shielded the Group from the full impact of the temporary challenges faced in the agriculture sector. We are beginning to see the financial leverage created from our balanced profile of businesses.
“The Omnia Group is not only well balanced across its three core businesses and geographic spread, but each individual business also benefits from a broad product range, trusted brands and highly functional, cost-effective technology that meets the needs of local and international markets.”
Looking Forward, Humphris said:
“We will continue to look for opportunities both inside and outside South Africa’s borders to leverage our competitive advantages, spread our risks and unlock further opportunities.
“The diversity, strength and focus of our businesses positions us well to deliver in line with the five-year target. “
The Group has embarked on a number of innovative projects that will significantly impact on improved logistical and raw material efficiencies as well and environmental improvements. These will lead to increased sales including benefits from greenhouse gas reductions.
“With the increasing range of services we offer and geographical regions in which we operate, we are confident that in the year to March 2007 we will deliver an improved performance,” Humphris concluded.
For more information contact: Omnia (011) 709 8850
Rod Humphris, MD
Delwin Eggers, FD
Issued by Brunswick: (011) 268 5750
Taryn Proksch 083 273 1301
Lindsay Haines 082 941 1001